COVID-19 Update March 18
Dear Rowing Colleagues,
As you are aware the impacts of the Coronavirus (COVID-19) are now being felt across Australia with clear direction being provided by the Australian and State Governments and their medical advisors. This obviously has significant implications for the wider Australian sporting landscape which in turn is being felt directly by the rowing community with the recently announced cancellation of the 2020 AON Sydney International Rowing Regatta and 2020 Australian Masters Rowing Championships.
Where to for our sport?
Rowing ACT will consider the implications of any new advice from the ACT Government and advise of any rowing-specific measures required as that information comes to hand. Rowing ACT is also working in close collaboration with Rowing Australia (RA) over the conduct of RA sponsored events and is taking guidance from RA in the continued practice of the sport at club level and the conduct of regattas and events. RA in turn is providing very considered guidance to the State Associations based on its access to information available to it from its well-developed network of sources including the AIS, Sports Medicine Australia and other Government Departments. RA is exercising strong and appropriate leadership in its role as Rowing’s peak body in Australia.
Safety for Rowers
- Hand hygiene is key. It is important everyone washes their hands thoroughly and often using soap and water. All rowers, coaches and support staff must wash their hands before and after training. Bring a personal hand towel to training for drying your hands and don’t share this with others.
- It is important to remember you must wash your hands with soap and water thoroughly after going to the bathroom and maintain good hygiene practices.
- Antibacterial wipes, sprays, or soap and water must be used to clean equipment every time an individual concludes their session on an ergo or when using gym equipment. Towels should be placed on mats when rowers conduct stretching.
- It is important that all oars and boats are thoroughly washed with appropriate soap and water (not just water) where possible, or wiped down with anti-bacterial wipes, to ensure hygiene standards are maintained.
- Club members are asked not to attend their boat house for 14 days if they have returned from overseas in that time, are feeling unwell, or have been in contact with someone who has been diagnosed with COVID-19, or are awaiting results from a COVID-19 test.
- Social distancing practices should be implemented around your boatshed where practicable. Current advice is that rowing in crewed boats is acceptable and, where possible, rowing in smaller boats is a sensible measure to reduce the number of rowers you may be in contact with. Appropriate hygiene measures are paramount and if you are unwell you should not be rowing.
Rowing ACT’s Current Position
- The health and welfare of our members is our paramount consideration;
- Rowing ACT will only distribute information which is factual or considered to be the best available information at the time. This will include information related to the conduct of regattas, time trials, events, and on- and off-water training;
- We will inform the ACT rowing community as new information and decisions come to hand;
- Our decisions and plans will remain subject to change as new information, guidelines or Government (both Federal and ACT) directives come to hand;
- The practice of rowing is an individual’s choice and we ask that individuals not be criticised or ostracised for exercising their personal choices in these unprecedented times.
Below is also a list of online resources that may be useful to you and those in your clubs and schools. This list is a guide and is by no means exhaustive of all preventative measures. Readers should keep abreast of the most up to date information via the Federal Government and ACT Health websites listed below.
Federal Health Website: https://www.health.gov.au/news/health-alerts/novel-coronavirus-2019-ncov-health-alert
ACT Government information: https://www.health.act.gov.au/public-health-alert/updated-information-about-covid-19
Rowing Australia website: https://rowingaustralia.com.au/rowing-australia-fact-sheet-on-coronavirus/
If you have any further queries please email email@example.com